Friday, August 02, 2013

Overture! Curtain Lights!

About four years ago, I did something I hadn't done in over thirty years--I auditioned for a part on stage and got it.

I had been very active in theater throughout my teens and early twenties, mostly with my high school and church groups, although I did perform in one of the very first amateur productions of Jesus Christ Superstar in 1975 (I think), with the Staten Island Civic Theater. When I moved to Brooklyn the next year, that all came to an end. Then came marriage and kids and neither the time nor the opportunity presented itself.

But I worked backstage with the local high school (hi, Ridley Drama Group!) both while and for a few years after my younger son was involved, and that got the juices flowing. So, when I saw that one of the prominent local groups, Players Club of Swarthmore, was auditioning for Into the Woods, I gave it a shot. I played Cinderella's Father (a relatively small role) in that production. But since that fall, not a year has gone by that I haven't been in at least two productions.

Most recently, I was Dr. Bradley in The Man Who Came to Dinner at Colonial Playhouse, another local community theater. That's me, on the far left, staring at Nurse Preen's penguin-injured hand in the second act finale.









I was also in Macbeth (or "the Scottish Play") as superstitious actors refer to it, at Barnstormers (also a local group), playing King Duncan (as well as a couple of ensemble parts after MacB offs Duncan in the first act). I'm in the back row, with the chain of office around my neck.








I'm currently rehearsing for Twelve Angry Men, with yet another local group, Spotlight Theater. It opens in September.

More about my theatrical endeavors, such as they are, at another time.

No comments: